Monday 6 October 2008

It's a man's world

"After Spaced I naively expected a slew of parts where I could be a goof," says Hynes, "but people don't write goof roles for women. You're expected to be 'the girl' with 'the hair' [I've never seen such aggressive air quotes] standing with your hand on your hip going, 'You guys!' I have done those roles, but I find it really hard. Sometimes every single fibre of my being is screaming out, 'When do I get to trip over? When do I get my laugh?' But what can you do, apart from write your own stuff?"

The obvious question is, why didn't she write her own stuff? "There's been a few things that I've started," she says, "and they've meandered, or I've lost my nerve. It's hard to organise yourself when you have small children. The months go by and you realise you haven't had time to have a shower, let alone write."

It baffles me that she's been left behind where the others (Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Nick Frost) have all gone on to become pretty huge... She's awesome!

No comments: